a firewall is a network security system that monitors and controls incoming and outgoing network traffic based on predetermined security rules. A firewall typically establishes a barrier between a trusted internal network and untrusted external network, such as the Internet.
Firewalls are often categorized as either network firewalls or host-based firewalls. Network firewalls filter traffic between two or more networks and run on network hardware. Host-based firewalls run on host computers and control network traffic in and out of those machines.
Basic Recommendation: Home and Business
- Make sure your business Network, Business Computers, Home Computers has a firewall.
- Make sure it is turned ON
- Keep log files from the firewall
Types of Firewalls and features
- Operating System Based (IE: Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, Unix)
- Commercial/opensource/Free Firewalls for Operating Systems
- Routers, sold with built in Firewalls
- Dedicated Hardware based Firewalls
- Software Dedicated Virtual Firewalls