Backups for Servers is a must, So many businesses forget they should be backing up a server. They think the server will never fail, or they believe that Since I have a RAID Array for storage, I don’t need to backup files. This is wrong in so many ways. Backups don’t just protect current files, it protects the business from accidents.
Why Backup a Server
- Backup protects against server failure, hard drive, or RAID failure
- Accidental file deletion
- Ability to recover files (before accidental edits to a document)
- Recover files that might have been infected with a virus or worse Ransomeware
- Backing up a server is cheaper than trying to recover lost work in manual hours
- Backup Servers daily/nightly
- Always backup to a external device (hard drive), Another Server, NAS, SAN, Online backup (offsite), or optical Media.
- Offsite backup is also recommended
- Keep Log files of attempted backups Success and failure
- Periodically test recover files to make sure the back back system is working.